Friday 11 February 2011

Coaching Ethos at Reach Climbing Coach...finding the inspiration

Allot of people perceive our systems and coaching ethos to be pretty hard core - in jest we talk of Reach/Fight Club, but the reality of our coaching ethos is about support when your down and inspiring you when you are up pushing forward in your personal drive to improve as a climber.


We have many great training systems and programs but ultimately the 1 to 1 contact is what makes things work.




This week has been an interesting learning curve for me at Reach with a few clients feeling the pain of a plateau and others pushing into new ground with short term achievements breaking their expectations. I was one of the climbers hitting a small wall in terms of short term targets not being met, but luckily my experience of 6a to 8a taught me not to fret and that it will break if I stay the course and remain focused on the strategic goal.


Performance Targets are there to serve one purpose: to motivate ...if they are wrong, then adjust them, because otherwise they are not serving their purpose.I met about 10% of my mid training targets/milestones yet succeeded on the project.


I would never have achieved my goal of 8a in such a short period, should I not have been truly inspired to change my life. The inspiration is what drives our motivation to improve, not some fickle sense of ego. We all have ego but truly inspired climbers achieve great things and take more from their climbing experiences than those that miss the gift of being inspired... 


So dig deep and look for it, because when you get a sense of it, you will know and feel better than you have before and move well across the rock like never before...


Inspiration!

Referrals from clients:



"...This training season I decided to get all the help I can to speed up my improvement. I needed guidance to work towards my goals in long term. I also needed more vision and opinions about my exercises and weak links. I am glad I can share my training with Mark..." (Ville Mustonen, Finland)


" I met Mark in Glen Nevis on his return to climbing to check out some lines he had in mind for me, I wasn't really training at this point but after a day or two talking and training with him I had a much more structured idea of what to do to improve and I did" (Kev Shields)