Sunday 6 March 2011

Using 'systems' to increase bouldering standard



Dumby


Systems
Bouldering is, I feel, about improving and honing your climbing skills at a macro level in areas such as contact strength, dynamic awareness, footwork, body positioning, technical analysis of how to work out a sequence...in my view, it is less about actual improvements in strength (though they are obviously there) and more about skills and muscle memory.


In my view systems training breaks bigger strength plateaus and bouldering is not the fastest way to getting strong; training for strength is. Obvious, yet many boulder for strength?


Strength training is about maximal slow movement in a controlled environment which is later converted to power through such things as bouldering, plyometrics etc.




Referrals from clients:



"...This training season I decided to get all the help I can to speed up my improvement. I needed guidance to work towards my goals in long term. I also needed more vision and opinions about my exercises and weak links. I am glad I can share my training with Mark..." (Ville Mustonen, Finland)


" I met Mark in Glen Nevis on his return to climbing to check out some lines he had in mind for me, I wasn't really training at this point but after a day or two talking and training with him I had a much more structured idea of what to do to improve and I did" (Kev Shields)