Saturday 24 January 2015

Eiger, women and BSL...

North Wales
It was nice to enjoy a winter's walk round the lake contemplating some of 2014 and a little of what is coming in 2015.

The Eiger Paraclimb looks like it will take the most effort (to prepare for) but maybe return the most satisfaction.

Returning to a place like the Eiger feels a little spooky, because after my epic on the North Face all those years ago, I remember thinking I had pushed too close to my limits to top out the climb.

Neil on the White Spider

I had just split with a long term girl friend who couldn't make her mind up about me and her ex, so I made the decision for her and took off for the Eiger  and dutifully engaged in what the mountain could throw at me.  This years project will obviously be very different requiring less madness, a bit more celibacy for focus and much more care for others. Although the chosen route is far easier, as a Paraclimb it will hold some big challenges, which will feel as equally intense as climbing the North Face... I think.

What else for Reach in 2015? Expand my Paraclimbing capacity through learning BSL to communicate better in the coaching environment.

Continue to focus on the psychology of climbing as the main driver for climbing and training improvements.

.. Come off the Eiger with the team safely plonked on terra firma, find myself a nice woman, with a sharp mind, a kind personality, reasonable definition across her lats and shoulders and a nice bum! Not too much to ask for 2015?



Referrals from clients:



"...This training season I decided to get all the help I can to speed up my improvement. I needed guidance to work towards my goals in long term. I also needed more vision and opinions about my exercises and weak links. I am glad I can share my training with Mark..." (Ville Mustonen, Finland)


" I met Mark in Glen Nevis on his return to climbing to check out some lines he had in mind for me, I wasn't really training at this point but after a day or two talking and training with him I had a much more structured idea of what to do to improve and I did" (Kev Shields)