Thursday 19 June 2014

1st session with GB Para Climbing Team member John Churcher

John competing in Manchester
 John came down to the Beacon Climber Center in Wales for our first coaching session in preparation for his international competition series beginning in Austria in July.

John is an experienced competition climber who has only been climbing for 4 years. He has developed a very high level of endurance due to his necessity to hold on longer to spot touch the holds
to confirm them from communications from his previous 'callers'. We assessed his level of maximal strength and power then began the hard stuff (for me!) and did some routes as caller/climber and worked a 7a up the full height of the steeper wall. All good...

Finished with bouldering and falling strategies. John is in the VI (visually impaired) category and has lots to gain from this years competition season. But first he has to give...

He has to increase his speed and natural movement momentum on 6b ground, drive his power endurance on 7a ground and increase his confidence in falling from height during bouldering sessions.

There is a fourth give... John is self funding this years competitions and so that is what he is trying to do here: http://www.gofundme.com/johnchurcher

Good luck in Imst my friend!

Referrals from clients:



"...This training season I decided to get all the help I can to speed up my improvement. I needed guidance to work towards my goals in long term. I also needed more vision and opinions about my exercises and weak links. I am glad I can share my training with Mark..." (Ville Mustonen, Finland)


" I met Mark in Glen Nevis on his return to climbing to check out some lines he had in mind for me, I wasn't really training at this point but after a day or two talking and training with him I had a much more structured idea of what to do to improve and I did" (Kev Shields)