Saturday 10 May 2014

Accommodation at Montserrat (Spain) for UK Climbers


If you are heading out to Montserrat for a climbing trip then get in touch with my friends for accommodation at the Magic Mountain that is Montserrat. Just 40 minutes from Barcelona... See them here at http://montserratcat.wix.com/montserrat#%21accomodation/c7hs


Climbing Areas

 

Montserrat covers 5 x 10 kilometers squared of terrain and in practically all the areas of the mountain there are sport climbing routes.

 

The most outstanding sectors of the mountain can be found on:

 

The South Side of Montserrat; there are the more recently opened 1 and 2 pitch sport climbing sectors amongst classical multipitch climbs. The area named 'Agullas' (The Needles) is mabye one of the most beautiful parts of Montserrat, here there are more multi pitch routes and less 1 pitch sport climbing sectors. There is a tendency to climb on the south side of the mountain during the winter months when we can enjoy the sunshine on colder days.

 

 The North Face of Montserrat; here we can find our 'summer' routes, the sport climbing areas, many of which can be found by setting out from San Benet (a small 'hermita' sitting at the top of 1000 steps)are short and explosive one pitch climbs requiring a high level of strength and technique, there are also routes that reach the well known summits such as 'The Mummy', The Elephant' and 'The Bishops Belly'.

 

Apart from being able to give you advice and recomendations on what part of the mountain to climb there are a variety of published climbing guides , some of which we have available in the Climbers Bungalow.



Dude on 8b+
Montserrat has one of the highest concentrations of multipitch routes per meter squared in the world.

Bearing in mind that the first recorded ascenciones of Montserrats rock pinnacles was in 1912, we can journey through Catalunyas climbing history as we ascend; finding very classical protection such as wooden pegs to the modern parabolt.

Amongst the typical conglomorate slabs we can climb the classical routes following chimeneys,corners and cracks, with classical protection, and modern bolted routes ascending slabs and overhangs.

Although we can find multipitch routes all over Montserrat the northern part of the mountain has the highest concentration(750) of long routes and the most variety in grades (up to A5, 8b+)and beauty (Cavall Bernat).



7b+

Referrals from clients:



"...This training season I decided to get all the help I can to speed up my improvement. I needed guidance to work towards my goals in long term. I also needed more vision and opinions about my exercises and weak links. I am glad I can share my training with Mark..." (Ville Mustonen, Finland)


" I met Mark in Glen Nevis on his return to climbing to check out some lines he had in mind for me, I wasn't really training at this point but after a day or two talking and training with him I had a much more structured idea of what to do to improve and I did" (Kev Shields)