Wednesday 28 May 2014

BMC Para Climbing Competition - Manchester



Jay, Gwyn, Paula and I made our way to the Manchester BMC Para Climbing Competition for the 3rd and final of the series.

Jay Stompin Owen at his first BMC Paraclimb Comp!
Gwyn on the podium  with Jon & Rad qualifying for the British Team





Jay won his category (Autism) and Gwyn made the British Team for VI (Visually Impaired). The event was very well run by the BMC managers and route setters with more competitors attending as awareness seems to gaining greater momentum.

It' been great working with both of them and seeing them excel in climbing but for me the gift has come from them helping me find a passion in coaching para climbers and I thank both of them for asking me to help them achieve there climbing goals.

Gwyn can now travel different parts of the world representing Britain and Jay will continue on his amazing personal journey of using climbing to change his life for the better.

... And me, I want to coach more para climbers and enjoy my own personal journey (and of course enchain Jerry Moffat's 80's classic 'Masterclass' before my finger tips burst on that gnarly crystal inverted pinch!)...


Full results of the 2014 BMC Paraclimbing Series – round 1-3 and overall series results

If you have a disability and haven't climbed before and would like to try an indoor climbing session or are an experienced para climber and would like to put together a coaching plan then please contact markmcgowan01@gmail.com to discuss details and arrangements.

Referrals from clients:



"...This training season I decided to get all the help I can to speed up my improvement. I needed guidance to work towards my goals in long term. I also needed more vision and opinions about my exercises and weak links. I am glad I can share my training with Mark..." (Ville Mustonen, Finland)


" I met Mark in Glen Nevis on his return to climbing to check out some lines he had in mind for me, I wasn't really training at this point but after a day or two talking and training with him I had a much more structured idea of what to do to improve and I did" (Kev Shields)